You had your free trial, and you liked it. Now what?
Here is how to enroll for the first time, as an Olympia student and club member:
A. Start by signing up for an annual $29.00, “Access” membership type with the USA Fencing Association.
While this is may be a lengthy process, you only have to go through it once; this membership must be renewed at the beginning of each fencing season (August 1st), and the renewal process is quick and easy.
B. Class Enrollment with Olympia Fencing Center
- Please fill out a registration form to enroll in a beginner class of your choice.
Cambridge location: Registration Form here
Newton location: Registration Form here
- Please note that you can only register for the beginner-level classes.
For all others (more advanced fencers) please email us!
- Bring a credit card on your first class to create your subscription.
Please note that memberships are ongoing (they never end), and cancelations can be done easily by emailing us.
Verbal cancelations are not accepted; please read our club’s policy on our website.
- Please stick with the class you have booked; no switching between classes/days.
- One make-up per month is allowed for the occasional missed classes; your attendance is your responsibility.
The make-ups must be scheduled by email, and are subject to availability (class size).
What to wear to classes
- Long, athletic pants.
No dresses/skirts, un-tucked, loose-fitting clothing.
- Clean/dry sneakers, tennis shoes, or comfortable, closed-toe shoes.
Please no boots, sandals, flip-flops.
- Bring a water bottle.
A filtered water fountain is available for refills.
What happens after you register?
We’ll meet you in the lobby, and show your child in their class.
They’ll receive the rental gear package half-way through the class, after the warm-up games.
The gear package must be taken home, cleaned whenever necessary, and brought with the student to every class.
If your child outgrows the rental package, we’re happy to provide a different size at no cost to you.
Read more here about the terms and conditions of the rental gear.
10 mins: Warm-up Games
5 mins: Structured Run/Active Stretching
10 mins: Footwork
10 mins: Suit Up
25 mins: Drills/Fencing
Summary of your membership terms
— The monthly membership consists of the monthly fee for the class(es) of your choice, plus the $10-15.00 fencing gear rental fee.
— You may join at anytime during the month; your first month’s fee can be pro-rated.
— A one-time, fully refundable $100.00 deposit will be added to your card, until you by or return your rental.
— There is a ten-days period to return your rented gear after your cancelation, to receive your deposit back.
— No deposit refunds after the ten-days period. A detailed description of the gear loaners policy can be found on our website.
— You may buy your own gear at any time during your membership, or continue renting indefinitely.
We recommend buying after about six months; a new gear package is cheaper than renting.
— No annual club membership for any beginner programs; please read more on this page.
Please remember to bring your rental to each class. Fencing gear is costly to buy in large amounts, and we have a limited number of items to loan.
If you lose your loaned items, you get charged the price for each and must replace the lost item to continue fencing. The full gear package is secured against a $100.00 deposit.
The club is not responsible for the lost items.
All these policies are available on our website, as well as all the details about classes, coaches, schedule, club closures.
There is no access to any class without a current USFA membership, your gear loaner, or while wearing an inappropriate outfit (long athletic pants, clean/dry sneakers, no dresses or skirts).
Parents, please note: our students’ safety is our foremost priority.
– Fencing is a physical sport. The games we play in the introductory classes may include running, jumping, and physically interacting with similar-age peers. Additionally, our trained staff may assist your child in suiting up and changing out of fencing gear. If there is anything we should know about your child to help them feel most comfortable during this class, please let us know. (i.e. difficulties with attention, sensory challenges, being unusually shy in new situations, need for special medication, inhalers, etc.)
This information will help our instructors to safely engage your child and ensure everyone’s well-being.
We hope that our students will love fencing with us, and we are happy to help the parents with purchasing new gear, weapons, and everything they may need as they’re moving forward through the different class levels, at the same price as the vendors.
This is only offered to our club members only, to lessen the stress related to sizing and learning about different types and options.
Here is the link to the page where you can read more about returning your gear loaner, fencing equipment prices, and other club gear that you may like to buy.